Monday, September 6, 2010

My OBU Story


My undergraduate alma mater is having a blogabout today! So I want to share my OBU story with you!

I went to OBU somewhat kicking and screaming.

I wanted to go to Belmont in Nashville, or somewhere a little farther from home (I'm from Hot Springs). My mom and I toured SAU (mostly because they offered me a full ride) and after HATING the visit there, on the way home, mom said "Why don't we go look at OBU?"

I REALLY didn't want to...but I agreed. During the visit, something happened. Ouachita took over my heart. During that walk around campus with Deb (who was the most amazing admissions counselor ever!), somehow the Ouachita spirit became a part of me. I wanted to do the things she talked about: play frisbee on the lawn. Have class in the ampitheater. Walk these sidewalks. So I applied and got early admission. I was stoked!

My time at OBU was a whirlwind. I was challenged in the classroom by amazing professors. They taught me so much and made me apply what I was learning. I got to know my professors. I had dinners at their houses and spent hours in their offices talking about both academics and life. I am now in graduate school, and I can wholeheartedly say that OBU fully prepared me for it with a great education.

But we all know college isn't just about education. I was worried about the small campus in a small town. But I promise you, anytime I wanted to do something, there was always something to do. From campus organized fun like Tiger Tunes, Spring Fling, CAB movies, and the awesome Christmas party to impromptu activities like walks down to the gazebo, movies with your hallmates, campus drive arounds (my favorite!), playing games in the student center, or whatever, there was a ton of fun to be had.

I can't talk about OBU without talking about my social club, Tri Chi. During my time at Ouachita, I was blessed to get to spend it with some amazing ladies. I pledged my freshman year and made some lifelong friends that were bridesmaids in my wedding and forever friends. Some say joining a social club is paying for your friends. If that is true, I sure didn't pay enough...those girls are priceless to me!

I also (cliche alert!) met my husband at OBU. I really think it was in God's plan for our paths to cross there, as neither one of us wanted to go to OBU, but God brought us there. And I really believe one of the reasons was to find each other! Not everyone will find their mate at OBU (and that is perfectly fine!) but some people do because the environment is one where you are surrounded by like-minded others. Something about it works magic every once in a while.

I think OBU is a great school. You will be challenged in your spiritual walk, in your academic life, and you will be overwhelmed with fun things to do to make friends. I would go back there in a heartbeat and I miss it all the time.

I will leave you with some pictures of my time there.
TWIRP week: a week full of Sadie Hawkins fun events! This is barn bash! This was Tyler and I my senior year!
Ha! A great memory! I LOVED my hall...I lived on Perrin 3 (before it was a boy dorm) my last two years at OBU with these girls. Most of them were a year younger, and we had so much fun! This was our Christmas party...and we did secret santa. We had our party during finals, and people were trying to study...so we couldn't be loud. When someone got a gift that we wanted to ooh and ahh about, we did silent sign language claps instead so we didn't disturb the studious kids!
These are OBU friends post-OBU celebrating my birthday with me! Yup...you will be friends with these people even after college!

Intramural games! I never played, but I loved cheering my friends on!
A favorite OBU memory: Kappa Chi serenades! The boys come to the girls dorms and sing to them! That's my guy on the right! (This was a Christmas serenade...hence the reindeer!)
Tiger Tunes! This was my senior year! We were sailors! I was the director and I was soooo proud of these ladies and our show!
Graduation with two of my great professors, Dr. Deborah Root and Dr. Jeff Root. She was my advisor and he was my dean and they taught me sooo much and were so great during my time there and even now!
Tiger Tunes my junior year! I was an assistant director and got to have a solo! We were farmers and came in 3rd place! I LOVE Tiger Tunes!


An OBU tradition: riding the tiger. This is two of my best friends Judah and Megan on our last night before graduation.

I am a OBU Tiger for life.

4 comments:

  1. Hi fellow Tri-Chi! I was a few years earlier than you, but the memories are just as sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a Tri Chi!! At the very beginning of Tri Chi, in fact.

    This was a precious post! The sign language cheering made me laugh!

    Oh how I loved a good Kappa serenade. Especially the Christmas ones. Were they still actually falling on their knees when they sang "O Holy Night?" Classic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this. As a fellow Tri-Chi so cool to see the legacy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the Internet! I'd love to hear from you - I love hearing your reactions, your opinions, your questions, or even just a shoutout that you are here reading. (PS. I hate the verification thingy on blogs...but I've been getting lots of spam lately, so I turned it on. Take that, spammers!) Thanks for your comments. :)