Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Weekend in New Orleans: Part 1

Our trip started late Thursday evening.  After I taught Zumba, I hopped in the gym showers, put on some pjs, and we hit the road. We drove about 6 hours (stopping only for Taco Bell and one gas stop!) getting to Vicksburg, MS about 2 a.m.  We stayed at a crummy hotel there, but we were only there for like 6 hours, so it wasn't too bad (except they messed up my reservation and gave us a smoking room.  I felt like I spent the night in an ashtray...but for $50 a night I couldn't complain too much). 

We hit the road the next morning and stopped at Cracker Barrel for breakfast.

I got a Diet Orange Cream soda for the road- my favorite!

We got to New Orleans around 1 and drove straight to the French Quarter.  We had lunch at Johnny's Po Boys (recommended to us by some friends).  We had a GREAT meal!


I had a classic muffeletta (ham, salami, olive spread) 


and Tyler had a seafood muffeletta- which was basically a GIANT po-boy.  Po Boys are sandwiches, usually stuffed with fried seafood.  Well, his seafood muffeletta was just double the size of a po boy!  Stuffed with fried oysters, shrimp, and fish...it was SO good!



 We also got a dessert there in their ice cream shop up stairs.  I don't remember what it was called...but it was heavenly.  Caramel, white chocolate, gooeyness.

We walked around a bit seeing Jackson Square and the French Quarter.  

In Jackson Square...


On the Riverfront


And in Jackson Square again enjoying the art.


We were pretty tired from driving all night (and getting crummy sleep in the ashtray hotel) and walking around so we came back to the room and rested.  We were going to go out for dinner, but OU was playing in the Cotton Bowl...and Tyler is a big OU fan.  So we decided to just order pizza and watch the game.  It was nice to rest a bit.


We had a great first afternoon in NoLa! And we got some rest so we could party all day long on Saturday! Part 2 coming tomorrow!

8 comments:

  1. I was looking forward to your post about NoLa. I've never been, but have always wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my 4th trip. We didn't have enough time to do everything...but it was fun! It is a great place to visit!

      Delete
  2. This is so fun! Stinks that your hotel reservaton was messed up though-I don't know if I could have stayed in a smoking room. Glad you didn't let it damper your trip though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh girl. We walked in and I said "I can't stay here" But Tyler insisted that since it was 2 a.m. and we were unfamiliar with the town that we stay. It wasn't too bad. But every time I woke up in the night, I immediately smelled the smoke. It was gross! But only for one night!

      Delete
  3. that looks like so much fun and it's only the beginning!!! was the dessert at Johnny's bread pudding?? it kinda looks like it and looks to die for!!! mmmm so glad you got to try that place out and loved it! my parents will be jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't bread pudding...it was sort of like a blondie...but it was AMAZING. I am trying to find something similar online. She told me it was spice cake mix, condensed milk, and white chocolate chips with caramel. Needless to say- to die for!

      Delete
  4. Your food looks so amazing! I love, love, love muffaletta's! You can tell Tyler I'm sorry OU lost (not really) and I'm glad y'all had a relaxing pizza night at the hotel! You need those once in awhile!

    I miss being in N'awlins! Did you get to go to Cafe Du Monde for beignets and cafe au laits?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will give him your condolences. :) We had beignets the next day....so yummy! Why can't we get cafe au lait everywhere?

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the Internet! I'd love to hear from you - I love hearing your reactions, your opinions, your questions, or even just a shoutout that you are here reading. (PS. I hate the verification thingy on blogs...but I've been getting lots of spam lately, so I turned it on. Take that, spammers!) Thanks for your comments. :)

If you want a reply, please make sure your email is linked with your Blogger account or that you leave your email in your comment.