Saturday, February 23, 2013

Batch Cooking: Egg Muffins and Mexican Sweet Potatoes

I posted on Twitter that I did some batch cooking for my breakfasts and lunch this week, and I was asked to share the recipes.  They aren't fancy, but they are healthy and pretty easy to make. 
For breakfasts, I love what I call "Egg Muffins."  They are basically little crustless quiches.  Here is my easy, healthy recipe.

Veggie Egg Muffins 
-one small carton of egg whites (has 10 servings in it)
-one head of broccoli, chopped small
-one onion, chopped
-one bell pepper, chopped
-one cup shredded cheddar
-pepper to taste

Mix everything together in a bowl and pour into sprayed muffin tins.  I bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes until done.  Then remove and cool.  I keep them in ziploc bags, and just heat them up when I'm ready for them.  They keep all week in the fridge...and this recipe makes 12 muffins (one full muffin tin).  I eat two each day.  

When I compute this recipe in My Fitness Pal, I get two muffins for 140 calories!  Really good! I usually eat them with a piece of fruit (and a piece of toast if its a workout day!).

For lunches, I love my Mexican Sweet Potatoes.  Really easy. I weigh everything out on my kitchen scale so I get accurate calorie counts, so these are in weights, but I'll try to approximate it in measurements too.

Mexican Sweet Potatoes
 
-3-4 sweet potatoes
-salsa (I use chipotle Pace salsa)
-Velveeta cheese slices (the 35 calorie/slice ones)
-low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
-could add other veggies like pico de gallo, chopped onion or green onion, or jalepenos

Makes 4 servings.

Pierce holes in the sweet potatoes and microwave until soft.  Let them cool a bit, and remove the skin. 

Get 4 rubbermaids and divide the beans into them (I put 65 grams of beans in each bowl...maybe 1/4-1/2 cup?).  Next each bowl gets 2 tbsp salsa, and a cheese slice.  Then I add 130 grams of sweet potato to each bowl (maybe a cup?)...mix it all together and voila!  Mexican sweet potato!

I keep the rubbermaids in the fridge and they last all week just fine.  I just microwave them when I'm ready to eat!  Yummy!  

According to My Fitness Pal, each bowl has 250 calories.  It is perfect with a piece of fruit for lunch!  Really yummy and healthy! 

Do you do batch cooking?  In like 30 minutes I can have everything ready for the week.  LOVE it!

1 comment:

  1. I'm gonna have to try your egg muffins! I can have everything in those except the cheese, but I may add a piece of crumbled bacon!!! They sound sooo good! What a great idea for protein at breakfast, that doesn't require pulling out the skillet everyday! Yum yum!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the Internet! I'd love to hear from you - I love hearing your reactions, your opinions, your questions, or even just a shoutout that you are here reading. (PS. I hate the verification thingy on blogs...but I've been getting lots of spam lately, so I turned it on. Take that, spammers!) Thanks for your comments. :)

If you want a reply, please make sure your email is linked with your Blogger account or that you leave your email in your comment.