Friday, February 8, 2013

Nolas- White Chocolate Caramel Blondies

So when we were in New Orleans, we had a dessert at Johnny's Po Boys.  I don't remember what it was called, but it was something like "Sophia's Special"  Very vague. But it looked good, so we got it.  And it tasted AMAZING.  But we couldn't pinpoint the flavor.  So we asked on our way out "What was in that?"

The dessert inspiration at Johnny's Po Boys in NOLA
Well, combine the lady's cajun accent and her eubonics with her back turned to us...and we didn't catch much. I heard "sweet condense-ed milk" and Tyler thinks he heard "spice cake."  Well, that was a lost cause.

Except I couldn't get them out of my head. I had to eat them again.

So I decided to make my own.  And lo and behold, the first batch nailed it!  I took a recipe for "cake batter brownies" and recreated it to match these flavors.  So here is my very own creation- I'm calling them Nolas. They are a white chocolate caramel blondie.

Nolas (White Chocolate Caramel Blondies)

Ingredients:
-1 box butter yellow cake mix
-1 stick melted butter
-1 egg
-1/8 cup water
-1/4 cup brown sugar
-1 tbsp cinnamon
-1 tbsp vanilla
-half bag of white chocolate chips (about 6 ounces)
-1 can sweetened condensed milk (I used fat free)
-parchment paper

Preheat oven to 350.  Mix cake mix, butter, egg, water, brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla.  Makes a thick batter.  Spread into a greased and lined 9x13 pan (will be a thin layer).  Then top the batter with white chocolate chips, and then pour the sweetened condensed milk over the top.

Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes, until done.  The milk on top will be bubbling into a caramel.  Look at the edges to see if they are done.  Let the bars cool completely.  Cut into bars and enjoy with a glass of cold milk.

Tyler says these are the best dessert he's had that isn't chocolate.  So take that! :)

I'm sure your family will love them!

1 comment:

  1. Those look great! We've decided to go to NOLA for Spring Break! I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the Internet! I'd love to hear from you - I love hearing your reactions, your opinions, your questions, or even just a shoutout that you are here reading. (PS. I hate the verification thingy on blogs...but I've been getting lots of spam lately, so I turned it on. Take that, spammers!) Thanks for your comments. :)

If you want a reply, please make sure your email is linked with your Blogger account or that you leave your email in your comment.